Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Transforming Curb Side Junk

Once a year our city offers residents large item 'JUNK' pick up.

Most of the time it is old toilets, mattresses, out-dated TVs,
broken down furniture, etc.

Fun or curiosity, we count yearly the more unusual
items that are 'junked' in excess.  
This year it was 12 baby cribs and 3 pink toilets.

Throughout the years I have found many great items.
However, the past few years 'good junk' has been minimal. 

That changed this year!
We found antiques, vintage, furniture
and garden items. 

Here is my best SCORE...

This center walnut-stained shelf.
I thought it would fit my mantel and it did!

I love the original wood of this piece, but the 
wood had some issues, besides it was too dark for my room.

So, I chose to repaint it with Annie Sloan white chalk paint.
It took me 32 hours to paint this piece with three coats of chalk paint 
mainly using a 3/4" brush on the scrolls/details and columns.
To finish it, I hand-waxed it.

 First coat of chalk paint.

Now finished, it sits as a cabinet shelf on my mantel.

Love my 'JUNK' find!


7 comments:

  1. You definitely scored! Your 32 hours of work put the “frosting on cake” though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shirlee...I like your "frosting on the cake"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that looks great. So much detail in the wood and a very nice piece.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheri, Thank you for commenting on this post! Hard to believe someone threw away that piece as junk!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete