Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Angel Wings & Vintage Finds...Tingue Buttons & More


Suzanne's lovely angel wings are off the Christmas tree and searching for their new spot in our home.  I'm thinking hanging on the knob of my grandmother's secretary might be the perfect spot.


What do you think... do you like the contrast
of the dark wood and the creamy angel wings?

I found some great items last weekend on my shopping spree at the Kansas City's West Bottoms district.

Under several baggies of various mix media supplies, I uncovered a small baggie tagged Pretty Glass Buttons $5I collect antique/vintage clothing buttons.  I was delighted to see this tag and had to control myself from doing the Happy Button Dance down the aisle.  Here's why

 If you are a button collector, you know $5 was a BARGAIN for these antique buttons.  These buttons are called a tingue.  

Tingue buttons were made during the 1850s-1860s.  Due to their mechanical makeup of glass set on glass, they are very fragile.
Few have survived in good condition.

There are four layers to a tingue button:
1.  glass base
2.  reflective foil
3.  thin layer of colored glass
4.  glass tip 

Tingues came in various color combinations, shapes and sizes. 
Bead & Button magazine featured a nice article on tingue buttons, click here.
As you can see in this photo, three of the four tingues are in good condition.  The fourth one does have a few flea bites on its layers.
  
Over the years I have enviously listened to the stories of other button collectors and their amazing tingue finds... now I have my story to share!  

I am a Happy Tingue Dancing Girl!  

 Here are the other wonderful items I scored 
I had been looking for a small section of vintage rusty springs-
this size is perfect. 
Two lovely lockets
Fun, fun, fun coffee filter flowers.
Precious mix matched S&P shakers... the squirrel has his hand next to his mouth hollering.... "take me home".
 
  Sweet original button cards

 Button card close up views
  
 Vintage European silk buttons
 Vintage European silk buttons

 Purple dyed pearl buttons

my last find is this adorable brass I Love You charm.

Thanks for browsing through my vintage finds with me.
 
If you are interested about button collecting, please visit the National Button Society by clicking on this link.



 





 

7 comments:

  1. OMgosh
    what a great find, I haven't ever noticed those kind of buttons before, thanks for the lesson on tingue buttons.
    I have collected buttons for years, not aggressively but when I find a tin full at an auction or estate sale I have to have them
    I have enjoyed reading this post and seeing all your finds, makes me wants to get out there today and find some buttons LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for your fabulous tongue find!!
    Glad to see you and all your new friends having such fun. Thinking of all our old good times together when we were so close...............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly grammy and my hitting the wrong letter. Meant "tingue" of course.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I am drooling over all of it! So. Much. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this happy happy happy post....I love pining over your wonderful buttons! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know how Bill Engvall says, "Here's Your Sign..." Well, I think you just created our button saying: "Here's Your Find!" Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the angel wings on the dresser, and the contrast is nice. And because they are wings, they can turn up anywhere in your house. The button find was terrific, and also like the bed spring display for the vintage button cards.

    ReplyDelete