Friday, September 30, 2011

Remembering England & France 2010

I can hardly believe it has been a year ago today that Tara & I left for our 2 week vacation in England & France.

I recall sitting alone waiting for Tara's arrival at our airport and swirling inside my brain was me.... yes me... I am on my way to board an airplane to Europe!  

Growing up I never thought I would ever have the means or opportunity to travel abroad.  Tara's son and family were then living in London and her husband was not able to make their October 2010 visit, so I was invited to go.   

My husband encouraged me to go and I jumped at the opportunity.  
Thank you Larry!

Over the next two weeks I will be posting photos from our trip as I reminisce our incredible trip. I hope you will check back and travel along with us.

Tara & Tami's 2010 European Vacation


 Ready for take off...

We flew into London taking a taxi to the home of Tara's family.  In less than one hour we dropped off our larger suitcases, briefly visited with family and were off racing to catch the Chunnel to Paris


The Le Regent Hotel is located in the Saint Germain district. It is a 18th century home converted into a charming hotel.  It has the tiniest elevator I've ever seen - barely able to fit one person and their suitcase.  Our room was cozy and charming with a nice en-suite bathroom.   It was conveniently located near Metro & Tube stations, cafes & shopping!  

Our first morning in Paris 

Two things we immediately discovered in Paris, getting up and out at 7:30 am is way too early for the Parisian lifestyle and Parisian coffee is very different than American coffee.

We finally took a Metro till we found the above cafe open and were able to grab a cup of stiff Espresso... coffee.  

This is one of the few photos of Tara & I together as you cannot trust pick pockets.  The handsome young cafe clerk offered to take our picture.
 We were their only customers that early in the morning.  Actually other than a few workers scurrying to work, we were the only people on the early morning streets of Paris.

My favorite sight in Paris and sadly I do not have a photo to share, is getting up early in Paris and being amongst the cafe workers as they hollered across the street corners to one another discussing life while sweeping their sidewalks and preparing for their day.  On another street corner you'd watch and hear the greetings of produce and flower vendors as they made their early market deliveries.  What a way to start off the day!

After our morning coffee we were off to find the Port de Vanves flea market.


We had made prior arrangements to meet with Eric a vendor at the Port de Vanves flea market to shop for antique and vintage clothing buttons.

Tara, Eric & Tami

Eric is so nice and we bought several nice buttons from him.
We found several more buttons, trinkets and vintage jewelry at the Port de Vanves flea market.  We also ran into Nancy a fellow American that we knew.... more on that later.  
After the Port de Vanves flea market we did a bit of sight seeing...

Pont Neuf bridge overlooking the Seine river

Lovely flat apartment living in Paris - lovely window flower baskets 

Another view off of the Pont Neuf bridge

Colorful neighbor bar area - love all the flowers and the great vintage metal signs!  Note: many things were posted in English.

Well that's was a bit of day one in Paris.  Tomorrow I will share Day 2.  Please stop back by and visit Day 2 with us.

 
  

3 comments:

  1. what a fabulous trip...I am hoping on day to go to france and england so i can SHOP:>
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing like sitting in a cafe with a friend, awaiting the joy of discovery! You look so happy with your guide at the flea market!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blog's name Vintage Connections takes me into another world of lost memories and people.I always cherish those beautiful memories of my school and college and take out my old pictures to remember all those beautiful faces .

    ReplyDelete